Full color pictures in Astronomy are actually created by taking several images at different wavelengths of light, assigning colors to those images, and then stacking them on top of each other. Play around with the various color combinations and see what you can make!
- To get started, select an image from the drop down menu underneath “Sky Object.”
- Select an object from the available list of monochrome (grayscale) images
- From the list of available monochrome images of the chosen object, select which image to display as red, green or blue.
- A color image combining the three monochrome images will appear on the screen.
- Adjust the amount of red, green and blue contributions to the color image. The color intensity can be adjusted from 0 (dark) to 100 (full intensity).
- Save the composite color image using the control panel. Images are saved in jpg format.
Trouble using this app? Try opening it in a separate browser window.